Minimizing carbohydrate intake is critical to the 123 Diet’s amazing weight loss results, but that means one food that you may find yourself missing is pasta. But there is one noodle that is a part of our plan: the incredible Shirataki noodle.
Though a plate of these so-called "miracle noodles" may not taste exactly like the heavy, doughy dishes you’re used to, we think it’s worth sacrificing some penne and spaghetti in exchange for a healthier lifestyle and a slimmer, more confident you.
Shirataki noodles are a traditional Japanese food also sometimes known as “Konjac” noodles because they come from the root of the Konjac plant. They have become increasingly popular with dieters in the US because they have practically no calories! This is because they contain around 97 percent water; the remaining 3 percent is made of a fiber called glucomannan, which also contains no digestible carbs. Some chain supermarkets now carry the trendy food, but you can also look for it at your local Asian market or, conveniently, order it off of Amazon.
Along with filling you up at almost no calorie “cost,” shirataki noodles can also promote satiety by delaying stomach emptying. Plus, they have a ton of health benefits: they can lower insulin and blood sugar, lower cholesterol levels, and help relieve constipation and digestive discomfort. One of the few downsides is that they may also interfere with the absorption of certain drugs, so you should take any important medications one hour before or 4 hours after eating your miraculous noodles.
Shirataki noodles are also easy to cook, and though they don’t have much of a flavor themselves, they’re very absorbent of whatever sauces they’re prepared with. You can jazz them up with Bragg’s Liquid Amino or Tamari, healthy substitutes for soy sauce, by adding some chicken or tofu for protein, or by stirring in a few of your favorite spices or veggies.